BigCommerce, named Best and Brightest Place to Work For in San Francisco 2017 is looking for an experienced and proven engineer who wants to join a well-established, fast-paced team in the exciting and rapidly growing e-commerce industry.
The Stencil team powers the storefront experience. We build scalable, performant services that enable merchants to create beautiful and personalized storefront experiences. The merchants on our platform transact billions of dollars in orders and we routinely handle Black Friday without a hitch.
We’re focused on improving our industry-leading Stencil theming framework and extending its functionality with internationalization, customized experiences for different clients, and tools that enable targeted marketing of products.
Who You Are
- 5+ years experience in building systems using at least two different languages: PHP, Ruby, Scala, Python, Node, etc... We primarily use Ruby, PHP, and Scala.
- You’re not afraid to dive deep into legacy code and figure out how to make it better.
- You want to prove to the world that high-quality code can be delivered with speed.
- You enjoy explaining complex technical topics in a way that others can understand.
- You enjoy making yourself and your team better engineers.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- You know how to build reliable and safe distributed systems and understand the tradeoffs made when engineering a feature.
- When things break, you’re the first to jump in and help fix them.
- Preferred 3-5 years of software development experience.
- B.S. or M.S. Computer Science or related experience.
- You are results-oriented and like to use data to showcase progress.
What You’ll Do
- Help design/architect/execute the building of new services for the BigCommerce platform.
- Build highly-available, distributed systems.
- Write code that is performant, fault-tolerant, maintainable, testable, and concise.
- Work closely with Ops/infrastructure to improve our architecture and scalability
- Work on Ruby and Scala microservices
- Work on our core PHP application
- Push yourself to learn the full BigCommerce tech stack: Scala, Docker, Node, LinkerD, and more…